Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Passing Of A Good-Hearted Person

BY: Keith Plunkett

Judy Greaves passed away on Tuesday, July 6 after a long bout with cancer. Judy was someone that always greeted with a smile. When she was still acting in her capacity as Flora's First Lady, she would also greet me with a chore. But, I could never say no to Miss Judy.

Only days after her husband Scott took the reins as Mayor in 2006, she called to ask me to come meet with them. I had been working on my first civic project for the town for the better part of a year, and had been attempting to get the former Mayor and Board of Alderman to approve some cleanup projects, landscaping and beautification for the Town of Flora to no avail. She sat both me and Scott down in a room at City Hall and told us we were going to get it done. We did.

She helped organize the first Landscape Advisory Board, and when it came time to pick a President, she unhesitatingly nominated me. The time I served on that board with Judy was some of the most aggravating and fun times I have had. It taught me a great deal about municipal government; how it works, and how it doesn't.

But, it also led to a number of important projects completed around Flora. We wrote and helped pass the first ever Landscape Ordinance in the town. We designed a town seal, had them constructed into big signs, and placed them at the entrances to town on Highway 49.  We also worked with the Flora Historical Society to restart discussions about a Veteran's Memorial. That project had languished for years as nothing more than a good idea. Today, in part because of her tenacity, it stands at Main Street as a memorial to those who have given their life for our freedom.

In my mind, it also stands as a memorial to her. I will forever be grateful for her constant words of support and encouragement.

Our prayers are with Scott and the Greaves family. Judy will be laid to rest in Flora Cemetery on Friday at 11:30 following visitation at Flora Methodist Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment