Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Seale says he'll answer a few questions . . . so let's ask a few.

Seale
Madison County Lobbyist C. Stephen Seale's latest response to our fun little back and forth continues. He says:

"I can't explain each and every action or the propriety of my fees to every taxpayer in Madison County."
And why not? It's really simple, just answer the questions.



Seriously though, I do understand. If he doesn't take direction from anybody but the Board of Supervisors, that's fine. I feel like we're making a little progress here. So, I'll be flexible. 

Seale Says:

"What I will offer to do is to explain the work I do to you and give examples of the work and fees charged by similarly-situated entities for the same kind of work in Washington and Jackson. This is the same thing I've done for the Board since I was hired and have been supported in every instance by a 4-1 vote. It will then be up to you to make your own conclusions if you choose to participate and to report on what we've discussed for your benefit and for the benefit of your readers. Call me if this interests you."
This doesn't exactly sound like a willingness to answer questions, but rather to "explain things" to me. In fact, "examples of the work and fees charged by similarly-situated entities for the same kind of work" sounds eerily like that inner government audit done by the county that tried to explain away Mr. Warnock's engineering fees, doesn't it?

But, when I said I wanted to turn this into "food for thought" I meant it. So, you have my attention, Mr. Seale.

Of course, we'll have to set some ground rules. But, I'm going to move ahead on the assumption that I get to ask a few questions. And, since I had hoped my readers here could ask a few in an open thread, what I'll do instead is offer this up as a thread for readers to send the questions to me. If I can get Mr. Seale to answer them, I'll do my best.

We'll see. Mr. Seale, I'll be in touch.

You ask 'em, I'll ask 'em, readers. So shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment