Thursday, July 8, 2010

Greenwood Cottonmouth: Company Worker Gets Raise, Walks Out

Ever wonder why things are so bad in the Delta? Read this.



Local Sandwich Shop owner, John Doe, recently moved to Greenwood from California. Doe said he has worked in human resources off and on for 15 years in the restaurant industry. Adjusting to employee behavior in the Delta has been difficult, he said.

"Within five months of being here, I've had three cooks walk out on me. This was after I had either increased their hours or given them a raise - or both - because they were doin' a good job. It's hard to find good employees here," he said.

"The third time it happened - yesterday - I stopped LaQuincia in the parking lot and said, 'Hey! What's wrong? I gave you a raise. Was it not enough?' And man, she went off on my a**," Doe said.

The employee went through a five-minute laundry list of various government benefits, such as childcare, healthcare and subsidized housing, that she would lose if she earned more money. Doe said she acted as if he was trying to bankrupt her.

"I apologized and offered to take it back," he said, "but she stormed off. I guess I've learned my lesson.

Greenwood Cottonmouth

No comments:

Post a Comment