Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thompson met by Darcy at Greenwood meeting


The Republican opponent for the 2nd Congressional District seat surprised incumbent Bennie Thompson at the Greenwood Voters League meeting Wednesday night.
Thompson, a Democrat, had planned to give a legislative update to the Voters League, but he found an RV covered with "Bill Marcy for Congress" stickers parked outside the building. Marcy sat quietly during much of the meeting before addressing Thompson during the question-and-answer period after his speech.

Thompson, who was first elected to Congress in 1993, discussed his record in office. He said his stance on health care is unwavering.

"We are the only democracy left in the world that does not provide health care for all of its citizens," he said. "Everybody tells me they are Christians, but why in the world wouldn't a Christian want to provide health care to other citizens?"

He said he has worked diligently to funnel money into Delta projects, including some that are still ongoing.

"If you go to Itta Bena, you'll see some streets being paved," he said. "If you go to Carrollton, you'll see streets being paved."

Thompson, the chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said his efforts have also made the country safer.

"I'm happy to report to you that since the 9/11 incident, we have not had one major breach in this country," Thompson said. "You can still walk out of your home. You can still fly wherever you want to."

Thompson said the people of the district "know better" than to vote for Marcy. Marcy, a resident of Meridian, lives more than 100 miles from the district.

"Now, how in the world is somebody going to come into this district and say I want you to vote for me, even though I can't vote for myself?'" Thompson said.

Thompson said he wasn't convinced that Marcy was dedicated to the district.

Marcy said his father and grandmother grew up in Mississippi, and he has other ancestral ties to the state. He told the Voters League that his father left the state because "back in 1932 some white folks said that my daddy looked at a white woman too long."

While responding to Marcy, Thompson said, "It's important for people to understand just what people have been through. I didn't leave like you did. I stayed here ... I can tell the story, but I want to tell the story to folk who stay here. I don't want to tell the story to the gypsy."

After the meeting, Marcy said he originally planned to move into the district if he was elected. He said he now plans to move into the district regardless in the next few weeks.

"This election is not about where Bill Marcy lives," he said. "This is about who can help the poorest districts in one of the poorest states in the union."

During the question-and-answer period, Marcy asked Thompson only one series of questions: "Why is it that the second district is the poorest district in the nation? And why is it that we have such a high crime rate? And why is that the schools are listed as some of the most failing schools in challenging our children?"

Thompson said the plantation system of the 1930s and 1940s promoted cheap labor instead of industry. The Delta is still recovering from that, he said.

"I don't accept responsibility for where we are," Thompson said. "I didn't create it. You didn't create it. But I've worked to improve it."

At one point, state Sen. David Jordan, president of the league, chastised Marcy for not allowing Thompson to finish an answer to a question. Marcy said he wanted a chance to defend himself after being spoken about "like a dog."

"This is not your night," Jordan said. "We didn't know you were coming. This is Congressman Thompson's night."

Marcy told Jordan he was "looking forward to my night."

Thompson said after the meeting that by showing up uninvited, Marcy had overstepped common courtesy.

"He showed disrespect to the Voters League," Thompson said. "I wouldn't have done that to him. But I wasn't impressed by him tonight."

Marcy said he thinks he may have rattled the congressman even more than he intended.

"He was more aggressive toward me than I thought he would be, especially for being in office so long," Marcy said. "I think it's a good sign that he is worried about me. He sees that I am an opponent to be worried about."

Marcy said Thompson's answer to most problems has been government programs. "I'm not looking for handouts," he said. "I want to bring high-paying jobs."

Greenwood Commonwealth

No comments:

Post a Comment